Tue, Jan 26|
Education Committee Meeting
Time & Location
Jan 26, 2021, 5:15 PM
About the Event
Tuesday, January 26, 2021
5:15 PM via ZoomPrayer/Reflection Review Previous Programs
· NEOCH Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 7:00pm (SJG Recipient).
o Molly Martin, Director of Strategic Initiatives and 2 Street Speakers Jeneane and Adam
§ Jeneane’s Maternity Care
· Mark DeMott Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 7:00pm
o Discussion and interview with Bob Kloos and community questions afterward. A collaboration with the Planning Committee.
§ Survey Results
o Honorarium: $750.00
Potential Speakers for Follow Up
· Benincasa Community
o Mark DeMott spoke about Benincasa as a possible inspiration for CSP. Benincasa Community is a lay community named for Catherine (Benincasa) di Siena, the peacemaker, mystic, theologian, and reformer. It is located New York’s Astoria, Queens neighborhood.
o Co-Founders are Karen Gargamelli-McCreight and Sean Gargamelli-McCreight. Karen is the 2019 FutureChurch Christine Schenk Award recipient and Sean was named to the board of FutureChurch in the same year.
o POC to follow up.
· Kathy Coffey – writer, educator, and retreat leader
o From an Kathy’s email to Tim:
“I once wrote a book called Dancing in the Margins: Meditations for People who Struggle with their Churches, for which I interviewed a lot
of people like yourselves. Seems to me that much of the wisdom and creativity resides with the excommunicated.
As I've thought about a topic, I think the most original thing I could contribute is my work with trying to get free of the patriarchy, source of so many of the church's current woes. Not all men are patriarchal, but I'm wondering if the men in your audience would feel disincluded if I spoke about how I've used an ancient midrash technique to imagine the women who were certainly there initially back into the gospels. The more enlightened males who've heard or read it say they want to get in touch with their feminine side, to better relate to wives, daughters, sisters, moms, colleagues, etc. So, the talk isn't male-
bashing, and I hope has moved past anger at the institution for denying women's gifts.”
o Bob has suggested that Dorothy Valarian, Martha and perhaps a few others, would be happy to help Kathy hone the scope of her presentation.
o Date: TBD
· Fr. Mark Strobel, Dean, Gethsemane Episcopal Cathedral, Fargo, ND https://www.gethsemanecathedralfargo.org/people/
o Tim to follow up.
· Jenn Laskey, Executive Director, Edna House (SJG Recipient).
o Born of the vision of four sober women, the mission of The Edna House is to give women an opportunity to recover from alcohol and drug addiction by providing a safe, sober place to live and to learn life skills in order to maintain 12-step based sobriety throughout their lifetime.
o Joining Jenn will be Sarah ‘Murph’ Murphy her assistant and former client.
o Date: TBD
o Honorarium: TBD
· Alice Camille - https://alicecamille.com/about/
o Alice Camille is an author and religious educator. She received her Master of Divinity degree from the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, where she also served as adjunct faculty in ministry formation, preaching and proclamation. She is a regular contributor to "Give Us This Day" (Liturgical Press.), where she came to our attention by way of Tim O’Brien.
o As of January 22, Alice is preparing an abstract for a proposed presentation on ‘Story’ with a possible video component in collaboration with her husband.
o Date: Fall 2021
· Diana L. Hayes – emeritus professor, Georgetown; specializes in Womanist Theology, Black Theology, U.S. Liberation Theologies, and African American and Womanist Spirituality.
o Professor Hayes is not accepting any further speaking engagements at this time.
· Barbara Brown Taylor – writer, speaker; Episcopal priest.
o Martha to follow up.
· Gabrielle Daniels, Project Manager, Equal Justice Initiative (colleague of Bryan Stevenson, author of “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption”)
o Martha to follow up.
· InterReligious Task Force on Central America and Columbia (SJG Recipient).
o Mark to follow up
· Carolyn Woo - President and CEO, Catholic Relief Services https://www.catholicwomenpreach.org/preacher/carolyn-woo
o Maureen to follow up.
· Fairfax Renaissance Development Corporation (SJG Recipient).
· Bob Marrone
o Bob Kloos to follow up.